Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Odd and ends... and fear of falling

I feel like a slacker, but I finally scheduled my intro Fit Test at Fort Sanders Health & Fitness Center (FSHFC) today. It's not until next week, but it least it's finally on the books. I have this bad habit of not doing things if I don't write them down, or create a reminder on my outlook calendar. Yesterday when I left work I put a sticky note right in the middle of my desk reminding me that today I needed to call and schedule my Fit Test. It is now done! 


I'm one of those people who tend to be more productive the more things I have on my plate. If that's the case then next week is sure to be a winner of a  week! 


Tuesday after work I have my walker/runner evaluation with a physical therapist, then later that evening I've got our first team meeting with our trainer and life coach Chris O'Hearn at FSHFC. Wednesday after work I've got my Fit Test at FSHFC. Thursday a festive holiday celebration with current & past team members, and then Friday a team appearance on Live at Five at 4. Then the following Monday I finally have my appointment with the dietitian at Covenant Weight Management Center. Yes, I'm already tired thinking about it all! 


I know many of you saw the link I posted on Facebook to the MTV show that featured an appearance by Chris O'Hearn. If you didn't get a chance to see it, it's now available here. If you've ever struggled with weight loss, it's definitely a must-see.


While working on building exercise as a habit in my life, I've been thinking more and more about if I can do this. If I can actually follow through with what I've started. Honestly, it still scares the hell out of me to think about where I'll be by April. Today I asked myself the question, "why have I never run before?" 


The simple answer - realistically and metaphorically - I've been afraid of falling. I've had so many injuries in my past, and I'm clumsy, so there's the survivalist fear of falling down and going boom. OK, worst case scenario, I end up in the hospital or dead (the previous is more likely). I work in healthcare, my friends will take excellent care of me. Mentally, if I set myself up for failure, I'll fail. If I convince myself that I can succeed, I will. If I "fall" metaphorically along the way, I've got a great support team of friends, family, and my new teammates to help me pick up the pieces, and keep working.


A few more nuggets of inspiration from my favorite time waster, Pinterest.







And my personal favorite, especially with my sesamoiditis...

No comments:

Post a Comment