Monday, November 14, 2011

2 miles down ... many to go!

Just a quick update this morning about yesterday's kick-off walk at the Buddy's Race Against Cancer! First of all, what an amazing event hosted by Thompson Cancer Survival Center! So inspiring to see all of the cancer survivors receive their medals, and to see all of the teams walking in support of loved ones! Events like this make me truly proud to live in the community that I live in, and give me hope that people really do care about what's right.


Driving to yesterday's event I was nervous. Nervous about walking, nervous about getting injured, nervous about being held accountable, and not not living up to the expectations of my teammates, whom I'd just met a day earlier. I know it was just two miles. But, folks, the last time I walked a continuous two miles was probably in the mall at Christmastime, at the rate of a 50-minute mile. lol


Needless to say, most of my fears subsided as soon as I made it to World's Fair Park and my teammates started arriving. This part is going to sound sappy, and oh-so-very-Disney, but I feel like I've known these people forever. Here we are, a group of folks in all walks of our lives, thrown together by one common factor - our desire to get healthier, and build a better us! Yesterday was a day of laughter, sharing our fears and concerns about the walk yesterday and what we're up against in the next several months, and realizing that we're all going to make it. We're still learning each other's names, but I feel like we've got each other's backs!


And, our amazing Coach Missy! She made sure we were all comfortable yesterday, introduced us to people from last year's team, and other folks she's trained along the way, and truly encouraged us! I know she's going to be a huge part of our success!


Yes, I hurt a little this morning -- but it kind of feels good! Thanks to everyone for all of your encouraging words on yesterday's blog, and your encouragement in general. Most of you know how I am, if I want to do something I'm going to do it on my own -- that's just how I am! But this one task I know I'd be ridiculously stupid to try to tackle on my own!


Thanks to all of my awesome teammates for yesterday! It's truly the beginning I needed to build the inspiration inside of me! Lee Ann & Marie, thanks for talking & walking yesterday! I look forward to many more!


1 comment: