Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Making new habits during the holidays

Is everyone else feeling the stress of a short work week, and too much cooking, baking, and other holiday festivities, and not enough hours in the day to get it all done? Don't get me wrong - I love the holidays and a few days off, but sometimes the preparation seems a little more stressful than it should be! 


And then adding in our pre-training for the Biggest Winner team, and there's another commitment I'm trying to juggle with all of the other holiday stuff. My goal during this holiday season, to make it to our official training start in January without completely burning out is one-step-at-a-time. I know it's not realistic to expect myself to develop the perfect activity habits in a matter of weeks. I know myself, and know if I jump into things way to fast, and get burned out, that it's harder for me to get re-motivated. 


So my goal until our full-time training starts in January is at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 days a week. Some days it may be more, some days it may be less. But I've decided to be proud of myself for making this a habit, and not discourage myself that I'm not doing enough.


I've been not doing enough for over 30 years ... so I am laying the foundation of my new set of activity habit.


Since the weather was really crappy last night, and I knew once I finally made it home I wouldn't want to go back out to do much of anything, my husband brought home a different activity game for us to try together, since the Zumba game wasn't quite our speed. 






OK, this one is much more our speed! We started with some basic steps, got our heart rates up, and enjoyed the activity with songs we knew (instead of the Latin techno on the Zumba game)! Although we were competing against each other (I had the high score), my main goal was to keep moving. Even if my moves weren't perfect ... I wasn't sitting on the couch, I was exercising!  I really like this game and think it's one we'll invest in. 


Unfortunately I ended up "on the bench" after about 30 minutes because I was overly eager to start the game, and didn't wait long enough after dinner to dance. Needless to say I was sick as a dog the rest of the night...and felt stupid for overdoing it ... but, hey, you live and you learn! 


Happy Thanksgiving week, folks! 

1 comment: