Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I am the author of my own story

Today was a long day, but a good long day. After work I had my runner/walker evaluation with Phil at Parkwest Therapy Services. This was an optional tool for us to take advantage of as part of our team training. I was eager to see what he had to say, given my plethora of orthopedic maladies. I really enjoyed our session, and learned a great deal about body mechanics, and what I can do to strengthen my body core in order to protect my knees and my feet. He had some very helpful suggestions for the ideal shoes I need (good stability), and recommendations for strengthening my left hip & IT band on both sides. 


After my runner evaluation we had our first group goal setting session with our trainer Chris O'Hearn. This was really the first time we've spent with Chris, other than our brief meeting during our kick-off day. Chris is a personal trainer at Fort Sanders Health & Fitness Center, and also a life coach. You can check out his website, Strong Within here. I think he's going to be an incredible influence on our team. 


Chris reminds me of Coach Kane, in that he is just a ball of energy! He talks a mile a minute (which is good, b/c that's the speed at which I listen), and you can tell he's really passionate about helping people realize that they are the authors of their own stories. If you can dream it, you can be it. I knew I liked him when he quoted Yoda, "Do or do not, there is no try." 


More excitement to come tomorrow night -- my Fit Test at the Fitness Center! I'll keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment