Thursday, December 15, 2011

How many push ups can you do?

Last night I went back to Fort Sanders Health & Fitness Center to complete my Fit Test. Last night's portion was what I like to call the "Presidential Fitness Test" portion. Who remembers those days in elementary school -- tortured by sit and reach, sit ups, rope climbing and pull ups?! I do. I can still feel the rust beneath my fingers on the chin up bar at Sequoyah Elementary! Yikes! 

Needless to say the Fit test was a bit more refined (no pull ups)! :) I had to walk on the treadmill wearing a heart monitor for about 10 minutes. The first minute was no incline, and low speed, the next 3 minutes was increased incline and speed, and the remainder was additional increase in incline. The test was measuring my Maximal Oxygen Consumption. I don't really think that maximal is a word...but I'm reading straight from the Fitness Evaluation print out. 

"Maximal VO2 (maximal oxygen consumption) is the maximal rate at which oxygen can be taken up, distributed and utilized by the working muscles during physical activity. It depends on the efficiency of the heart to pump the needed blood, the lungs to oxygenate blood and remove carbon dioxide, and the musculoskeletal system, which utilizes oxygen to help convert circulated and stored carbohydrates (glucose and glycogen) and fast to energy, for muscle contraction."

My VO2 Max was 36.97. I am happy to report that this is one test I pass! I'm actually in the high average/low above average range! The disclaimer is that I have a really high resting heart rate (b/c I'm out of shape), so I didn't have as far to go to reach my target heart rate. Anyway ... that's all symantics...I'm going to take this win and hope to see it in the "Well Above Average" during my next Fit test!

On to flexibility. I have none. This flexibility is measured by the old fashion sit and reach test. My flexibility measured at 13 inches. Average for my age is 18-19 inches. I'm sure when I lose some more weight in my mid region I'll be much more flexible! I'm working on that and my stretching!

On to push ups. Ladies, how long has it been since you've done push ups? The modified, knees bent kind of course? Well, for me, it has to have been at least ten years! Ideally for my age I should've been able to do 21-27 push ups. I know, I'm still laughing, too! Well, I did 14!! Honestly I didn't think I'd make it past 4, but I did! My arms feel like jello-o this morning, but I know strength training will help improve this aspect of my Fit test.

Needless to say the Fit Test has been an eye opening experience, and I look forward to doing an updated Fit Test in a few months to see my progress! 

In other news ... I'm still working on adding more carbs into my diet! I'll actually be able to make it to the grocery store tonight to restock on some healthy items! I haven't been able to shop since I met with the dietitian. I'm very excited about trying some new products she recommended, as well as looking for some new ideas for snacks, etc. 

Also, drinking water continues to be something I have to consciously make an effort to do. Last week I bought 2 (1 liter) water bottles. I keep them both filled up (1 at home, 1 with me). My goal is to finish them both in a day. Yesterday I exceeded that goal! Baby steps, folks.

Thanks to everyone who has been checking out my blog. Since I started documenting my journey I've had over 1000 page views! I appreciate everyone's support, and encourage you to leave comments, and "follow" my blog! 




No comments:

Post a Comment