Monday, March 12, 2012

Overcoming Triskaidekaphobia

tris-kai-dek-a-pho-bi-a: [tris-kahy-dek-uh-foh-bee-uh] noun, fear or a phobia concerning the number 13.

If you'd asked me a year ago where I saw myself in 1 year ... I'm pretty sure my answer would not have been, "walking 13 miles!" But here I am training for the 1/2 marathon event at the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon. Each Saturday when our group gets together to walk I accomplish than I ever thought I physically could. This past Saturday was no exception as we tackled Cades Cove.

Former Biggest Loser TV show contestant Joe Mitchell and his family joined us for part of our walk! Even though the morning started out a little cool ... it turned into a gorgeous day!



Very early in our walk the creek had flooded the road, and the water was several feet deep. We debated taking shoes off and wading through the icy water, until Coach Missy had a better idea-- hitchhike! A nice couple from Alabama helped us cross! Thanks to Missy for the truck pics!


Saturday was a beautiful day to walk! And I was reminded again, that we live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country! 









The goal for the day was completing the 11 mile loop. In true Amanda-fashion the walk ended up closer to 13.01 miles instead of 11...but I've never been great at math. lol.

Here's my completed route, thanks to my Humana Vitality phone app. Sidenote: I just love that I'm earning employee wellness points for all of this exercise! 



Although I was hoping to see a bear during our adventure, we didn't. We did see lots of deer, though.



And more beautiful scenery!





And fortunately, we made it alive! :) 


I don't remember Cades Cove being so hilly! But my legs are still feeling the burn today!


Saturday was meant to be our longest training distance at 11 miles. When training for a half marathon you generally don't train all of the way to 13 miles prior to the race. Well, so much for that theory! The good news is ... I know POSITIVELY that I can make it through a half marathon alive! 13 doesn't scare me anymore! 

Woo whoo! OK, I'm sure many of you had no doubt I could make it. And even though I talk a good game, and have convinced myself I can do it ... Saturday was a nice added-bonus to prepare me mentally for April 1. 

I'm so thankful to have wonderfully supportive teammates with whom I can laugh and commiserate! Saturday my walking buddies were LeeAnn, Melody, and our friend Beth. We're pretty sure that we decoded that "runners high" is actually delirium that sets in after about 10.5 miles. The finish line is ultimately, "just around the corner!" I couldn't ask for a funnier, sarcastic, and strong group of women with whom to share Saturday's adventures!

Since we've reached our longest distance prior to the Half Marathon, we'll now start to taper our walking and our workouts. I'm looking forward to slowing down a bit, but praying to not run out of steam. 

I'm sure my husband was thankful to see Monday roll around so that he didn't have to witness me limping through the house muttering, "ow!" with every step! But the good news is that as they say, pain is temporary. At least I think I've almost convinced myself of that! 

As usual ... I like to extract inspiration wherever I can! So here are a few of my favorites for the week! 






This one is especially for our trainer Chris, who reminds us daily how amazing we are! 

This is good advice no matter who you are, or what you're going through! 








1 comment: