Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's the Final Countdown

It's the final count down ... <cue Europe and their synthesizer melody, and sing along>! OK, so while the lyrics really have nothing to do with my excitement about it only being a few days before my first half marathon, the hook sure is catchy isn't it?! It's not uncommon in my house for me to break into song and that unforgettable riff... "It's the final countdown ... do do do do ... do do do do do..." In case you have no idea how it goes ... here it is for your viewing pleasure.

Lyrics | Europe lyrics - The Final Countdown lyrics

OK, back on target! I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it ... sorry, when I get really excited I continue to break into song!) that Sunday and the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon is almost here! I thought I'd be nervous. I thought I'd be hesitant. But I feel almost like a little kid the night before Christmas who can hardly wait to open her presents. I feel like I'm completely prepared for my first half marathon on Sunday. Coach Missy and personal trainer/life coach Chris have given me all of the tools I need, and helped me build the strength to accomplish my goal of crossing the finish line at Neyland Stadium on Sunday.

Interested in cheering me and other participants on in Sunday's races (starting at 7:30 a.m.)? Some popular spectator spots are Western Plaza Shopping Center, Tyson Park, KMA (the split for the half & full marathon). Spectators will also be able to enter Neyland Stadium through Gate 9 and sit in Sections A-P to watch participants cross the finish line. Also, if you're spectating, there's tons of entertainment to keep the party going -- check out this lineup! I look forward to hearing my pal Mike Mauldin  playing near the Ag Campus ... and although I'd love to hear my fave Jason Ellis on Sunday ... that would mean I decided to do the full marathon, and then you all would KNOW I'd lost my mind!

Although I'm really excited about Sunday, I will miss built in time with my teammates after we complete our event. I think we've all bonded, and are so dedicated to the fitness improvements that we're making right now that we will try to keep up some of our group exercise, like walking on Saturdays. I've always wondered how reality show contestants like folks on American Idol and the Biggest Loser become so close in such a short period of time ... but now I get it! When you've got so much in common with a group of people, and you've shared so many similar life experiences, and you spend quality time (like walking so many miles with them) with them every few days, there's no way you won't become close to them. I know I could not have accomplished the things I have accomplished in the past few months without my teammates.

Speaking of accomplishments -- last week I hit a milestone. I've lost 30 pounds since June!

Here's where I was in June ... 


Here's where I was yesterday...


I can't wait for our team to be able to show off our before/after pictures that should be released soon -- so everyone can see our complete team transformation! We had an awesome team celebration last night where each of our team members received a trophy and special recognition for their contributions to our team. It was such a fun night, and I can't remember the last time I got a trophy! 



I hope everyone has a great week! If you're a praying person, please say one or two for me and my teammates as we embark on a fabulous journey this weekend!

Here's some inspiration for the days to come! 








No comments:

Post a Comment