Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Yesterday I climbed a mountain. Literally and metaphorically. Earlier this week I started coming down with a cold, and haven't felt 100% for several days. Friday night while I was drowning my sorrows with hot tea and Kleenex I got the e-mail from Coach Missy Kane that our optional Saturday "get together" would be a leisurely outing to hike the breezy 3.5 miles at House Mountain. My first thought was, "no way, I feel like crap." Then I started feeling guilty that some of my teammates would be going on the trek, and I might not make it. After the guilt subsided I had flashbacks to the last time I went on an "easy" hike with some co-workers. Six miles, and one torn ligament in my foot later, I vowed to never believe anyone again when they said we were going on an "easy hike." 

When I woke up yesterday morning I decided that I was going to do it. If my options were: A: spend the morning being miserable at the house b/c I was sick, or B: spend the morning being miserable while attempting a hike with my teammates...I might was well do something productive! 


Around 10 a.m. Coach Missy, along with her sister & youngest daughter, met up with me, Lee Ann and Melody (my walking buddies & teammates), and several other of their sporty hiking friends (Carl, Sharon & Jerry).  Here we were before we got started: 





Needless to say the next four hours were a huge test and a huge testimony. A test of our strength (literally and figuratively) and a testimony to our sheer will and determination. I remember thinking to myself as we climbed straight up a rocky mountainside, "maybe someday I'll come out here and do this and think this is fun!" 


Thankfully, I had my teammates. I know I probably start to sound all sorts of "lean on me" and "I get by with a little help from my friends," when I blog about my teammates ...but you all have no idea. Yesterday Lee Ann and Melody were my lifeline. There were moments when I considered just sitting down and not going any further, thinking, eventually I can either roll back down this mountain, or I'll get eaten by wild dogs when nightfall comes, but by God, I won't have to worry about hiking back up or down. 


Every step of the way they were there to help me -- whether it was sympathizing with how I was feeling, or pointing out a rock or root that might trip me up, or holding my hand as I made it across portions of the trail that were only passable by climbing over rocks. There is NO WAY I could have finished yesterday's excursion in one piece without them both. To Mel & Lee Ann, thank you!! 


Several things made this hike worth it: 
First: the feeling of accomplishment when we made it back to the bottom of the mountain. I'm not really sure if that feeling was purely accomplishment, or just the euphoria masking all of the physical pains I was feeling ... but whatever it was, I'll take it.


Second: the momentum. When we finished I thought to myself, the next time I come back this won't be so hard. Wait, the next time?! OK, now I know I've lost my mind. I'll have to re-think the next time. 


Third: The workout. We logged over 11,000 steps, and burned 1,000+ calories. 


Fourth: the view. Everyone kept telling me (they'd all been on this hike before) it's an amazing view once you make it to the top! They were right! 


This is almost to the top -- sitting on a huge rock, taking a rest.





When we made it to the top we stopped to have a snack, rest, and take pictures. It truly was such an incredible view. What made it even more beautiful was knowing that the only way to make it to where I was standing was to physically do what I did. 





Thanks to Coach Missy for making me believe that I can accomplish anything. Even if at first it seemed like a a distorted view of reality, I'm determined to make it my reality! 

Since it's New Year's day I'll wrap it up with this ... I want the rest of my year to be like yesterday. Not the pain, the fear or the anxiety that I might not make it back down the mountain in one piece, but that exhilarating feeling of finishing something I was determined to finish! I want to always make the choice to do something instead of do nothing. I want to continue to step outside of my comfort zone, knowing that is the only way I can grow. I want to continue to believe in me, and what I'm capable of achieving.  



3 comments:

  1. So amazing, great job, Amanda!! I'm SOOO proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Don't let illness keep you down- mind over matter!

    ReplyDelete