Sunday, January 22, 2012

It'll take more than lightening to stop us!

Yesterday's long walk/run was derailed due to the lovely East Tennessee weather. By 8 a.m. we were enjoying a full force storm, complete with lots and lots of lightening. While this meant we didn't have to walk in the rain (yay!) it meant that we had to get our long distance effort for the week in on our own. Let me tell you, that was the most difficult 7 miles I've ever walked/shuffled. OK, OK, it's probably the only straight 7 miles I've ever traveled on foot, but talk about boring! When you're used to having the social and emotional interaction of teammates during your weekly jaunt, it's pretty bland without them!

My plan was to wait until a little later in the day when some of my teammates might be able to meet for some mileage, but by 8:30 I was bored out of my mind at home and wanting to move! Isn't it funny how once something does become habit it's so much harder to find a work around when things don't flow as planned? I did a little housework and sat down to watch TV, and felt lazy. I decided that I just needed to go ahead and get it done. That may day would feel much more complete once I had finished this.

So I headed to the gym. Note: I hate walking on the treadmill. It's boring. Even with a TV or music - it's boring. I also hate walking around a track-- it's even more boring than a treadmill! After doing the math in my head that 7 miles was going to take me about 2 hours, I set in for the long haul. The first hour wasn't too bad. I caught up on E! celebrity news, and watched some HGTV. I even saw a Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon commercial while walking. I tried to push myself at intervals as Coach Missy recommends for our weekly walks. I actually ran the last 10th of each mile I completed on the treadmill. I know that doesn't sound like a lot ... for she-who-does-not-run, that's a lot! And, believe me, today I'm feeling it!  After and hour (and 3.5 miles) on the treadmill I noticed others circling like vultures looking for empty machines, so I headed to the indoor track. As much as I hate the indoor track, it's redeeming quality is that it's abundantly air conditioned! Yay!

I would like to thank my good pals Justin Timberlake, Kei$ha, 'NSync, Miley Cyrus, JC Chasez, and a plethora of others for the solid entertainment during the walk. While they weren't as entertaining as my teammates, they helped me make it through the second 3.5 miles, and that's what I needed. This afternoon I'm definitely going to work on my workout playlist for my iphone. I'm currently taking suggestions for great walking/running music! Please share your favorites!

Backtracking a bit, I wanted to mention our training session Thursday night with our trainer & life coach, Chris. I really enjoyed that we all got to train in one place! Due to the number of folks in our group we usually split up into two different areas in the gym, however Thursday our core strengthening utilized stability balls, exercise mats, hand weights, and stability bands -- all things that we were able to do in one area of the gym together. I think working together really increases our morale, and our comfort level. For those of us who haven't lifted weights in many years -- or ever -- it's nice to have the support of those who have done it more recently, or might be better at an exercise than you are and can offer some helpful tips. The main bonus of us all being together is the laughter! I have to say, I feel like our team couldn't have been better matched for each other than we are! I think I get most of my ab workout by laughing each week. Whether it's Melody's impression of herself in a recent Zumba class, or Randy bustin' a move while doing his resistance band workout ... my teammates keep me laughing! And if you know me at all, you know how important I think it is to have a sense of humor! If you can't laugh at yourself, or find the funny things in life, I think you're missing out!

Now, don't get me wrong, Chris worked us out! We learned new core strengthening exercises using the stability ball, and incorporated weight lifting with the ball. Every Friday I'm sore in body part I didn't know I had! This week Chris also challenged us with some mental homework for the week. He asked us to write down at least 5 things that we are better at, are learning, or are grateful for as we have started going through the process of the Biggest Winner Challenge. I thought I'd share mine with you!


     1. I am grateful for the support that I’m getting from my friends, family and co-workers. I’m grateful that their support helps encourage me to keep working, and also helps hold me accountable for the goals I’ve set.

     2.  I’m learning that I am capable of a lot more physically than I’ve given myself credit for in the past. With that, I’m learning that even though it may hurt a little at first, it will feel better. Pain is temporary. The feeling of accomplishment from doing a new workout, or running short intervals on the treadmill, far outlasts the temporary discomfort.

     3.  I’m better at making time for me to workout. Other than work, I now schedule my workouts before anything else.

     4.  I’m getting better at saying “thank you,” and meaning it when someone pays me a compliment about how I look. Now that I am investing so much in myself by working on my health, and truly appreciating the challenge I’ve taken on, I’m beginning to really listen when people talk to me about my positive health changes.  

     5. I'm grateful for our amazing team. I’m grateful that my employer, Covenant Health, has given me this amazing opportunity to make these positive changes in my life, and I can’t imagine a better group of folks with whom to experience this.

     As always, I like to try to find inspiration wherever I can! And here are a few things I found on Pinterest this week that I really liked! 




  This is my absolute favorite! We're all unicorns at heart! 





Today I feel sore ... and that's OK!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you on getting the run/walk in! I had to take my long run indoors due to these E. TN storms! Getting it done is what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post! I'm so glad that this is working out so well for you.

    Gorillaz, Metallica, and Rage Against the Machine all have some good exercise tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so many great things! I am enjoying seeing all of you connect and reach for your best. The greatest experience for me is when people begin to believe in themselves and see that they can do it and are strong enough to reach the goals they have wanted for so long. Sometimes we just need a little motivation from others to help us see our true self

    Keep up the amazing work, and I love your blog. You are such a great writer. I will check with you first but want to put you in my blog as well, maybe an interview at the end of this whole thing. Have an amazing night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the song "beast" by V.I.C. It always pumps me up on hills or hard parts of my runs.

    ReplyDelete